From:
Nancy Jo Bykowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 1997 13:37:22 -0400
Kathy Dettwyler, the art critic, wrote:

>It is the Picasso sculpture!!  You can view the
>sculpture at the following web site:
>
>http://www.ci.chi.il.us/tourism/Postcards/big/PicassoAtDaleyCtr.html
>
>Seeing the original, it is clear to me that it is supposed to be an
>elephant.  So all those of you who guessed an elephant, I'd say you were
>correct also.  Please no flames about my lack of art appreciation (in saying
>it is clearly an elephant).

Well, Picasso was not exactly a representational artist, so I don't know if
he really had a particular object in mind.  Those of us who live in the
Chicago area tend to think of OUR Picasso as a bird-like object.  I've heard
that birds may be distantly related to dinosaurs, which are large land
animals, so maybe if you split the difference in size, you could say it
looked like an elephant.  :D

Ay!  It's our public art and we like it dat way!!  Anybody got a problem wit
dat?!

My apologies for being so off-topic, but my civic pride was mortally
wounded!  ;-)

Nancy Jo, LLLL near Chicago, Illinois, the Windy City