From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Oct 1998 20:20:56 -0400
Dear Mary, how lucky  to only have one or two mother/baby pairs at a time.
I would love a workplace like that.  That wouldn't work in most places I'm
familiar with.  I used to   have 10-14 moms per shift (straight postpartum)
 and  most staffing around here now is  4 to 6 or 8(!) mother/baby pairs
per nurse per shift.  8 patients (4 moms-4 babies) are state guidelines
that get bent.    Around here anywhere from 5-15 babies a day are born at
some of the hospitals.  So like everything else it depends on your
situation!  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ, mid-Atlantic state, east coast USA