From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 09:00:06 EST
In a message dated 1/2/03 12:03:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>We did tell them about the directions regarding washing
the breast with soap and water.  I don't remember comments on the
sterility of the products.<

Rachel, I am wondering why would you give these directions to a mother
pumping?
Do you also suggest that a mother wash her breast prior to breastfeeding?
Wouldn't that be the same?  I will be curious to see the literature behind
these recommendations.  I have a feeling they are several years old and
follow the thinking of the excessive skin preps that used to be performed on
people prior to surgery.  The research came back on the prep-op skin preps
(multiple scrubbings and shaving) that it caused more skin irritation and
therefore more potential for infections, and no pre-op skin prep did not have
an increase in post-op infections.
Looking forward to your response.
Ann Perry RN, IBCLC
Boston, MA