Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 12:51:50 -0500
On Oct 1, 2007, at 10:05 PM, LACTNET automatic digest system wrote:

> On a more personal note=2C can anyone share with me how I can keep my
> st=
> rong opinions in check when a mom seemingly =22jumps to the bottle=22
> wi=
> th little consideration=3F I know that all we can do is our best to
> educ=
> ate=2C but=

Janeane,

Your mileage may vary (or your choice of mental scenario) but in order
to remind myself that I have no clue what might motivate a mom to make
a decision that seems crazy, I try to treat every mom as if she has
been abused, and that's why she wants to quit.  I find that the
possibility of sexual abuse is what conjurers up the deepest respect
and greatest gentleness in me.  It is getting to the point where it has
become a habit to divorce my preconceived notions from moms' issues,
but it took contriving an imaginary situation to do it, at first.  I
mean no disrespect whatsoever to women who have actually survived
abuse.

Lynn in MO