From:
Tina Kimmel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:37:05 -0700
i wrote an email to anne veneman on monday. here
is the form-letter response i received. it's
going to take me a while to calm down enough to
craft a reply, but please feel free to do so
yourself. just incredible how slimy these creeps
are.

tina

>Subject: Message from Alan Court, Director,
>Programme Division Re: International Code of
>Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Cc: Chitra Jayawardena <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Beth Kopecky <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:49:39 -0400
>

>Dear Ms. Kimmel,
>
>Thank you for contacting us regarding the
>International Code of Marketing of Breastmilk
>Substitutes. We appreciate your support for
>UNICEF's work in this vital area.
>
>First and foremost, I assure you that UNICEF's
>commitment to the Code is as strong as ever.
>UNICEF Executive Director Ann Veneman has a
>long-standing commitment to promoting sound
>nutrition for women and children. Promotion and
>protection of early and exclusive breastfeeding
>remain key elements of our programmes on child
>survival and maternal health. The Code is a
>fundamental platform for achieving Millennium
>Development Goals Four and Five. Ms. Veneman has
>placed the Millennium Development Goals at the
>centre of UNICEF's agenda, and they will frame
>UNICEF's priorities in the coming years.
>
>In partnership with organizations such as yours,
>UNICEF has been already able to help many
>countries adopt the Code. Many others still have
>a long way to go. Until now we have been relying
>on a single legal expert based at headquarters
>to meet their growing needs, but we have come to
>the conclusion that more help is required than
>UNICEF headquarters alone can provide. The
>urgent challenge we face is to build a strong
>legal network for infant feeding where it will
>have the most impact - within countries
>themselves.
>
>With this in mind, we are decentralizing
>responsibility for providing legal assistance on
>the Code to our country offices. In turn, our
>country offices will be strengthening ties with
>non-governmental organizations to bring the
>right expertise under the UNICEF banner and
>provide better, more rapid assistance to
>governments. We will be consulting with you and
>other organizations working in this field to
>develop a roster of individuals and
>organizations able to provide legal support both
>globally and regionally.
>
>We sincerely believe this decision will give
>UNICEF and the countries it supports the tools
>to mobilize for the critical years ahead. Our
>work in this area continues to grow. The
>organization is now dedicating significantly
>more attention and resources to nutrition for
>mothers and children and we are broadening our
>action on infant and young child feeding to
>include stronger and more comprehensive
>programmes around critical issues such as
>breastfeeding in emergencies and the feeding of
>children whose mothers are affected by HIV/AIDS.
>This is a positive trend and we expect it to
>continue.
>
>UNICEF deeply appreciates your continuing
>support. We look forward to working with you to
>meet the challenges for children in the years to
> [...]

Tina Kimmel, MSW, MPH
PhD Program, UC Berkeley School of Social Welfare