From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 10:59:51 -0500
Dear Barbara, I've also noticed that baby lips on mommy's breast has an
incredible effect on increasing production, even if baby doesn't suckle
well.  It may be an emotional   cue or hormonal.  Remember the African
UNICEF video of babies at breast, but not even really nursing, done to
enhance mom's supply.

 I'm pretty sure I posted before about a mom (25 yrs ago at least) whose
milk came in  when 10  days of parlodel  finished.  She began pumping and
because of hospital rules back   then, never even  got to HOLD baby for
weeks.  Was only getting DROPS per day.  Nursed a friend's baby and supply
increased dramatically over night, signed own 6 wk old baby out AMA the
following day at a little over 4 lbs. Mom went home and crawled into bed
with baby and just nursed sort of non stop.   Baby lost 1st day, same 2nd
day and began to gain on 3 rd day.  (and we were using a pretty primitive
balance scale).  Looking back I'm   surprised that hospital  didn't call
child services!  She went on to  BF well into 2nd year.

The human body and human mind and human will should never be
underestimated.  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ