Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2008 22:54:23 -0800
Along those same lines, I have asked often why babies are given Hep B shots at birth. Long before they are exposed to sex, drugs and needles. A doctor told me they want to give them the shots while they have a captive audience,  while they have the baby in the clinic. But Mercola says the shots lose effectiveness by the time the child is 7 I believe and has to be given again anyway.
I  asked a nurse in another town and she said "oh you know, what with all the Mexicans and homeless people here, we just like to be on the safe side". I was floored. The mother, hearing that, calmly continued on with the numerous shots in the shots for which they had her hold the baby down, because, like most, she did whatever the dr. thought best. As I did when I was a young mother 40 years ago. As a newborn nursery nurse in my twenties in the 70's I'm ashamed to think of all the rules I went along with and didn't give a second thought to. circumcisions with no anesthesia, eye meds, 4 hr. feedings,5 min. on each side, can't unwrap the baby, flicking the feet, forcing formula/glucose water, hanging them by their feet to measure. And all that was before the tremendous liability consciousness that overshadows practitioners thinking today. Two steps forward, one step back as usual; we haven't come far enough.

Vicky York, IBCLC, CPD
Postpartum Care Services
Portland, Oregon
www.vickyyorkpostpartumdoula.com