From:
Sandy Hess <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Oct 1998 02:31:44 -0400
Just had to share this one.  Tonight, my fourteen year old son and I
stopped by the local grocery store (one of two in our town ...you can
correctly assume it is a small town).  We were being "rung up" by a
pleasant young man, clearly in his teens.  Behind us was a man and his
pre-school age son.  As I was putting my check book away, I heard the
man behind me (as he clutched his plastic produce bag containing some
bok choy) tell the clerk that he wasn't sure if he had the right kind of
cabbage.  You see, his wife's doctor told her to put a cabbage leaf on
each of her breasts...  The expression on the poor clerk's face was
priceless!  It was truly a "lactnet" moment!.  The poor father was
trying so hard to help his wife, but was obviously out his comfort zone
and had just shoved the clerk out of his!  I bit my lips to keep from
laughing, assumed (I hoped) a professional air as onlookers were casting
glances at each other, and explained that she needed a head of regular
green cabbage.  The clerk looked even more shocked, and the father look
genuinely relieved that he was not on some wild "cabbage" chase for his
engorged wife (who probably did not understand the doctor's instructions
either, but insisted, as any woman who is engorged would do, that the
LEAST her husband could do was go get the stuff).

After dicussing the treatment particulars, I identified myself as a
lactation consultant at a children's hospital.  The clerk said he had
never heard about any of this.  My fourteen year old was thinking,
"You're lucky."

A questions and answer session composed of shoppers and clerks in the
neighboring lanes ensued.  I then took the opportunity to suggest to the
father that he talk to his wife about putting the baby to breast,
detailing many of the benefits.  After giving my number to this
gentleman, I went to my car where my son, who had quickly made his
escape, was waiting.  I could only look at him and say "Honey, its just
what I do".  He could only nod in agreement.