From:
Sue Carson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 17:48:53 -0400
hours....i've been an lc at Pennsylvania Hospital for the past 14 years. My
experience has taught me that many little people are not interested in
eating in the 1st 24 hours of life.  The docs have taught me that for most
healthy babies to watch and wait for 24 hours is safe.

I have 2 basic rules
        #1FEED THE BABY...in the 1st 24 hours, we teach Moms position and latch
techniques and ways to assess good breastfeeding.  They are instructed to
work frequently with the baby, alternating postitions and to offer both
breasts at each practice session.  If no latch with rhymical suckling is
achieved by 24 hours or 3 consequtive tries, she is taught to pump with a
medella classic and to supplement with breastmilk or formula if breastmilk
is unavailable.
        #2PROTECT THE MILK SUPPLY..... if baby is not latching or not latching
well via LATCH assessment.....pump at least 8 times/24 hours....to promote
good breastmilk production.
THIS PROTECTS BOTH THE MOTHER AND THE BABY, and has served us well.

I too teach moms of sleepy people to express colostrum while baby is at the
breast...sometimes babies just don't know they are being brought to the
kitchen!!!    Comments?????