From:
Peggy Penovich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 15:11:44 -0400
Hello every one,
I have an interesting case here in the NICU. I am posting with permission
from the mother. She has a baby born at 37 weeks, normal pregnancy and
delivery however, shortly after delivery baby started having seizures. He
is currently two months old (never been home) and been having a major work
up from our neurologist. The baby still has seizures sometimes many a day
and sometimes many on hour. The mother is pumping and has a very good
supply > 1200 cc every day. Baby is currently being tube fed as he apirates
thin liquids,doesn't have a good suck and is often very sleepy from all the
medications. The question the mother asked me is  since the ketogenic diet
works well in children to reduce seizures (even infants) can she follow the
diet and change her milk to high fat almost no carbohydrate. I discussed
using hind milk for more fat but the milk still contains carbohydrates too
(of course). I told her that I think her body will try to maintain the
correct balance of all nutrients in her breast milk no matter what her diet
is. I think it will be her health that would suffer from a ketogenic diet
and dehydration might lead to decreased milk supply also. I told her I
would ask all of you wise ones since I can't seem to find any research
about the ketgenic diet with the mother breast feeding. The baby will go
home with a g-tube for feedings or possibly thickened breast milk to
prevent aspiration. Thank you for your help.