Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 18:35:01 -0500
That subject line probably didn't stir your attention, but I want to give
it a new twist.

I've been working with a mother who had a home birth.  She had one sore
nipple on day 3 and wanted some "fine tuning" of baby's latch. She had
called me yesterday to say that baby was wanting to feed all of the
time--really. For 24 hours baby wanted to be at the breast or was crying.
We talked about breast compression to keep baby going once she was at breast.

Today I went out to see her and the story was totally new.  Baby was mellow
and satisfied and had "slept through the night."  I was alarmed because
baby is 5 days old.  I asked for details and this is what they were.

Baby is sleeping with her parents and last night everytime she stirred, mom
put her to breast and immediately went back to sleep and baby suckled a
while and went to sleep on the breast. That was "sleeping through the
night.  Isn't that lovely?!

This morning there was a VERY wet diaper and baby has been mellow all
day--awake and happy or peacefully sleeping. Stooling and urinating are
right on track.

Wow! What a difference a birth makes.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin