From:
Marianne Vanderveen-Kolkena <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Nov 2009 12:49:55 +0100
Hi Maria,

Another Code-issue, as far as I'm concerned...
If all institutions would be Code-compliant, they would not have these
pacifiers for free and hand them out on a large scale.
And if manufacturers would be Code-compliant, they would not advertise them
en moms would not be flooded with messages pretending the objects solve
whatever problem and they are 'normal'.
Our eldest two had one and I hated the way they were stuck on them as
toddlers.
With the younger two, we didn't really introduce a pacifier and they were
fine without (and I breastfed more and we co-slept more... ;o)).
Advertising and unnatural images are so pervasive... it's much worse than we
think, I'm afraid.

Warmly,

Marianne Vanderveen IBCLC, Netherlands (promoting the idea that the Code is
about *protecting breastfeeding*, not about *protecting breastmilk*)