From:
Carol Brussel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 19:53:34 EST
<< Am I going crazy here or what if we openly informed the public about the
 potential hazards here, as we do for immunizations, carseats etc. I just dont
 get it. >>

janet, good topic. jump right in with the hard stuff at first! no, you are
not crazy. yes, i do give my patients clear information about the hazards of
infant formula. i have a suspicion that those who do not truly don't
understand the risks of using formula, so don't think it is necessary to give
out the relevant facts.

Will you be selling out? yes, if you tell people that formula is "okay" or
"good" or "as good as breastmilk" or whatever, yes, you will be selling out -
and for no money up front if you aren't an employee of one of those
companies.

however, it's important that in addition to saying the other stuff is bad,
that you are able to offer or direct the mother to a source of breastfeeding
help and an alternate supplement if needed while fixing breastfeeding
problems. that's not always possible, but i still tend to stick with the
truth.

carol brussel IBCLC