From:
lisa haider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 1997 14:18:14 +0000
I do not want to get into a religious debate on Lactnet.(This is not the
apppropriate place for it).  But I do feel I must stress again that Islam in
no way endorses female circumsion.  In those few places where it does take
place-Sudan, southern Egypt, and a few other areas, it seems to be a remnant
of the indigenous african culture.  Female circumsion does not take place in
the majority of Muslim areas.  There are many things done in the name of
Christianity, for which I am sure most Christians would not like to be held
accountable.  Slavery, the Klu Klux Klan, Nazism and many other acts come to
mind.

And as for the number of Muslims in the U.S. and Canada, in the near future
the number of Muslims in the United States will surpass the number of Jews.
As most Muslim circumsions take place in hospital, information on delaying
circumsion in order to establish a good nursing relationship could be very
valuable to these patients.

Sincerely,
Lisa Haider