Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2007 10:32:43 -0400
I would, if I may, like to offer a small clarification on how the IBLCE board is selected.  Technically, the members of the Board do not self-select their replacements.  A number of the positions are designated by the organizations who have standing positions.  These are the the professional associations (with the exception of ABA and LLLI) whose members supervise the practice of IBCLCs---for example, the American Academy of Pediatrics, Academy of Breastfeeding, etc. (Please don't kill the messenger, here.) However, I would agree with Liz in that in that the world of professional breastfeeding is as small as it is, one can safely assume that there is a good deal of 'good old boy' networking going on.

The other positions, for example, a lactation consultant in a teaching position, a lactation consultant researcher, etc.  are filled by a call for nominations in the six months prior to the expiration of the sitting member.  Applicants submit their CVs and other supporting documentation to the Executive Director.  In my day at IBLCE, she chose the replacement.  That practice may continue, or perhaps now it is a combination of the Exec Dir and the Board Chair or others.

Regarding the value of the certification, I have recently had the frustrating experience of trying to complete the hiring process at a pediatrician's office.  In contacting 5 insurance companies used by the majority of the practice's patients, 3 told me they would not cover me because I 'did not have a college degree in lactation'; 4 said that they simply "did not recognize lactation consultants as health care professionals" ; 2 asked me if I was licensed; and they all told me I had to be an RN as well.  Are we getting the picture here?  My IBCLC credential proves that I am qualified to offer the best lactation care available but so what?  I still can't work where I want to.  Certification alone just doesn't cut it.

Barbara Ash