From:
Jan Cornfoot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 17:41:03 +1000
Ros asks about Briggs, Freeman.. Pocket version of their Drugs book being
handed out by formula companies.. I've noticed that they're handing out a
number of new items that attract people to their stands.. the items
themselves are ok (not necessarily brilliant), but unrelated to formula, so
health professionals who might not necessarily approach the stand for
formula material, will do so for a free booklet on drugs, or a baby care
book, or boxes of tissues etc etc...  as the companies are distributing
here.. at a recent conference, the organisers told me that they attribute
their good numbers were due to the freebies, the door prizes (there were
lots) and the giveaways from the exhibitors, nothing to do with the
program. Formula companies and others take advantage of this perception.
Jan Cornfoot
Editor, Birth Issues Journal
CAPERS Bookstore
Brisbane, Australia

ps If anyone wants the WABA Guidelines on conferences and events, I'd be
happy to email them to you.