From:
Susan Small <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 May 2009 22:16:52 -0600
I was a school nurse for a long time. So here are my tricks for head lice.
As previously mentioned cheap conditioner (or mayonaise) and a metal comb
and patience to remove the nits from the hair. Mostly though you have to be
really careful about removing lice/nits from the environment. Heat from the
dryer (hot cycle done again after clothes/towels/bedding are already dried).
Water in the washer doesn't get hot enough to kill anything. The real trick
is to bag up anything fabric you aren't currently using and leave it for 40
days until hatching nits have no blood on which to feed and all die). Vacuum
frequently and if it's something you can't toss into the dryer on hot - bag
it and don't use it. I would not ever suggest using lice shampoos on a baby
or small child. Also if you are using lice shampoo on an adult / older child
remember that heat opens pores and allows more to be absorbed. You want to
get it on the hair but not have the person be sitting in a hot bath while
they are waiting for the bugs to die. You could also iron things - say
pillow cases to make sure there was plenty of nit/louse killing heat.
(Ironing pillow cases also recommended for ringworm on the scalp). Email me
off list if you want more specifics.  -Susan