Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2013 17:14:53 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I believe this has been discussed before, and it is regarding the use of goat's milk formulas. I am currently seeing a mom who is wanting to induce lactation, but has very little time before the newborn arrives. She will need to use formula, and this is what was recommended to her by her naturopathic physician. 

It seems that I am seeing quite a bit out there about the superiority of this type of formula over bovine formula, and am wondering what the thinking is on this. Our local naturopaths seem to recommend it quite frequently for those moms who need to supplement due to production issues. 

My understanding is that goat's milk is far too high in sodium for human consumption, but am wondering if these formulas have some sort of altercations to the normal sodium content? I just read something from Dr. Sears that states while the AAP generally does not recommend goat's milk, it can be prescribed as a formula under the guidance of a nutritionist. It is also easier to digest for some babies. 

Thanks for any feedback you can give.

Brenda Phipps, BS, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2