From:
Sarah Dufton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 2013 06:18:40 -0400
I was at an event with my homeschool group last week and I had been standing at the back of the room nursing. A lady I had stood and talked to for quite some time said "you might want to cover up a bit. If my son (who is about 17/18) was here there would be a lot to explain". I was floored on several levels by her comment, but in discussing it with others it was mentioned that the problem for her was that she DIDN'T know I was doing it and got caught off guard. She said to someone that a cover makes it clear what the mom is doing so that you don't "disturb her".  Now I don't feel I need to concentrate or focus while nursing, but maybe she did? I actually hate it when people indicate I should not be disturbed while nursing...

I agree with Jennifer as well, but in defence of the OP hearing a story of a woman being harassed is shocking and shouldn't happen. When the woman has made an effort to comply with some social standard like covering up it makes it all the more ludicrous. It is clear that for that person there is no middle ground. The only satisfactory thing for that person was no breastfeeding. That is more shocking. Although there is no reason for a woman to need to cover, it is more unreasonable for society to demand no nursing as the only suitable option.

Sarah Dufton
LLLC

Sent from my iPhone