From:
Larisa Walk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2013 23:59:12 +0000
I would first start by looking at the parents. Are they thin or were thin at baby's age? The problem with most peds is that they panic if the kid isn't gaining by the charts and immediately Rx formula. Also, are they using WHO growth charts or the CDC growth charts? The baby maybe just fine by the WHO standards.

If the baby is indeed FTT, then I would do pre and post feed weights; recommend breast compressions and definitely breastfeed first and solids in between. Possibly advise some herbal supplements to increase supply. The choices you mentioned for the solids are fine. Protein can be started too if baby is around 6mos; just make them pureed.

Larisa Walk, RD, IBCLC

WIC