Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 06:15:16 -0700
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Susan wrote:

> First it's patronizing to think that women need to be protected from
> themselves and from decisions they might make on behalf of themselves
> and their families. Is there anyone out there who truly thinks that
> making people dependent on someone else's idea of what is their best
> interest is a good idea? The vicious cycle of welfare and the culture of
> entitlement in the US would be the obvious example.

I hope no one jumped to the wrong conclusion about my personal views after
reading my comment on some arguments I have heard for why women are not
paid for donated breastmilk.  Someone asked for reasons why women are not
paid for donating their milk, and I posted a couple of arguments I have
heard.  I didn't say I *agreed* with those arguments.

> I suspect that one of the reasons that women don't value breastfeeding is
> simply because it is "free".

It is unfortunate that we are such a materialistic society, but I think
you're probably right about this.

> Do women who know that banked breastmilk is several dollars an ounce
> value breastmilk over formula more? Modern culture places value on
> expensive things. I would argue that not allowing women to be
> compensated fairly for their breastmilk actually supports a formula
> culture.

That's an interesting point.  The families I know who have had to use
banked milk certainly value it quite highly over formula... obviously.
It's also interesting to consider how the economics of supply and demand
might affect the price of banked milk.  If women were paid for the milk
they donate, more women would be likely to donate (don't you think?)...
and the supply of banked milk might rise to a level at some point where
the price could actually come DOWN.

> Men routinely sell their sperm to sperm banks where infertile couples
> happily use it without batting an eye. Why should a product unique to
> women's bodies be treated so very differently? Breastmilk is more
> difficult to provide and certainly takes greater commitment. Infertile
> folks often choose an individual sperm or ovum donor based on individual
> characteristics. College newspaper ads offer large sums ($10k) for egg
> "donation". Is it such an outrageous leap to wonder why breastmilk isn't
> similarly recruited?

No... but I can imagine some of the arguments that might arise as to why
breastmilk shouldn't be similarly recruited.  NOT saying I agree with
those arguments... but I CAN imagine them.  ;)

Cee