From:
"Glass, Marsha" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 15:41:23 -0500
Winnie,
I attended a breastfeeding seminar in Cincinnati earlier this week.  Cindy
Turner-Maffei was the speaker and she told us that this contest ploy was
being used by a formula company.  The contest she mentioned had a pretty big
prize attached, like a trip to the Grammy's or some such!   I have not seen
it here, but  that doesn't mean it isn't going on here.  I cannot imagine a
nurse manager being confronted with the obvious conflict of interest this
tactic presents and brushing it off.  I think gathering data to present to
her is a great idea, because you know that this is going to make a
difference in the numbers of bfding moms who get formula.

 I would also suggest one other possibility.   I have just recently
contacted our legal dept (aka Corporate Compliance) to ask about a neo (very
powerful.  I've posted about him before) who receives fees and gratuities
from a formula company and who seems to undermine breastfeeding at every
turn.  Almost like a virus.  You wouldn't expect physicians to have any
vested interest in whether a baby breastfeeds or not.  Usually this is just
a personal bias or misinformation.  However, this guy does and many a mom
has called me complaining of getting no support or horribly incorrect
information about breastfeeding.  I had to sign a conflict of interest
disclosure for this organization, so it occurred to me that this might be a
possible route to go.   Corporate compliance is investigating.  They said if
it proved to be true, it could very definitely fit the conflict of interest
designation.  I suggest you see if there is such a dept., or even person, in
your facility and run it by them.  To me, it's cut and dried.  You might
even mention this aspect to your manager.  Perhaps she would see the
possibility of impropriety in this light and choose not to go there.  We
have enough solid research these days to support our practice.  We shouldn't
be afraid to use the tools at hand.  Evidence-based practice is, after all,
where it's at in health care these days.  I know we tend to be a gentler
sort and (at least I) don't like to be confrontational.  However, I think
some barriers will not come down any other way.
Good luck!
Marsha