From:
Brenda Donnelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 21:49:59 +1100
Hi  Ann.

This certainly sounds like it is worthwhile  re - contacting this lady's
physician again.  It sounds to me like  a typical Yeast Infection.  I have
never yet seen a nipple with white spots, but have found most thrush
infected  mothers have the light pink [pinker than is usual even in a fair
mum] nipples with a pearly shiny look, and the awful pain you describe [in
varying degrees].  I have found that in these cases topical treatments are
of no help and an oral medication is required.  Many physicians forget to
treat the baby also, especially when they can't see any physical evidence
of thrush, but it has been my experience that the mother's condition does
not fully clear up until the baby is treated also.  I have found Nystatin
to be fairly ineffectual in most mums with a deep seated yeast infection
and  generally recommend that they ask their physicians about alternatives.

It is my feeling that the redness you describe was incidental to the
problem, probably a blocked duct or two, which she has cleared with pumping
or feeding.  In the yeast infections I have seen, there has been no visible
breast signs, only the nipple symptoms.

I think that this is one of our "mis-informed" doctors.........Quote - "the
pain is coming because her breasts are heavier with the milk".   Does he
think all breastfeeding mums should have pain because their breast are
full?   We don't stand a chance of encouraging mums to breastfeed if they
think they are going to suffer pain because they have the "weight" of their
milk to carry around!!

[maybe its the weight of the milk that makes our breast tissue less pert
after pregnancy and breastfeeding.] Just a  thought!!  My mind boggles at
the possible cartoons!!

Brenda Donnelly  RGON  NMAA Counsellor
Brisbane   Australia.