laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 08:02:38 PST
Sarah
Sorry if I am a day late and a dollar short, but re antibody production,
there is info in R. Lawrence text chapter on host-resistance and immunologic
significance of human milk w/ ref to mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue
(MALT) and gut-assoc lymphoid tissue (GALT) and broncho-assoc lymphoid
tissue (BALT)
and Jack Newman's Scientific American article (good drawings) of which I
cannot find right now. But Jack's article is on how the breast protects
babies from infection and is geared to the layman. You could search medline
or other search site for the above terms (the malt, balt, etc) or
enteromammary circulation (which term I find is an old term, as now we are
finding not just the gut gets exposed to germs and then breast makes
antibodies but all the other sites as well.
Hope this helps somewhat. This is so fascinating, would be a great conf.
topic, or a JHL article for Jack? Can you tell I miss him on lactnet?

Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
Violet Louisiana, s.e. USA