From:
Arly Helm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:11:56 -0700
My take on this is that we are filtering the incident through the lens of our own culture.  At this point we don't really know how
the cultural interface resulted in such violence.  It would be weird, indeed, if Muslim women were acting as Western Cultural
Police.

Arly Helm, MS, IBCLC

Bono shocked by Muslim women's reaction to breastfeeding

15/06/2005 - 17:35:52

U2 frontman Bono was horrified during a visit to Ethiopia, when he saw local women pelting a breast-feeding aid worker with stones.

The American woman was oblivious of the offence she was causing, and had to escape the angry onslaught from female Muslims who had
no qualms about injuring her or her baby.

Bono recalls: "I remember one vision of the people who are with World Vision, which is an American aid agency.

"One of the women was breast-feeding a child on the horse. She was so comfortable. She didn't mean to be insensitive.

"But the Muslim women did not like this and came out and started throwing stones at her because she was showing her breasts."