Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 18:05:32 EST
<<Confusion' happens when the  baby *chooses* the productive bottle over the
non-productive breast.>>

 It's not nipple confusion, it's preference.  The baby wants milk, if he
can't get if from the breast because of low supply, severe engorgement or
poor latch or positioning, then he PREFERS the bottle.  He's not confused,
he's smart.

I also don't talk about nipple confusion.  It does such a disservice to
mothers.  Many moms give up when the baby has had a bottle and then can't
latch on.  When I see these babies, I find they are not latching due to poor
positioning.  They latch just fine with optimal positioning and latch-on
techniques.  Too many moms give up and quit due to the dx of nipple
confusion.  They don't even seek a lactation consultant because they've been
brainwashed into believing that nipple confusion is real and not curable.

My reasons for not giving a bottle are 1) baby builds his skills quicker with
plenty of opportunity to practice; 2) frequent trips to the breast, builds
mom's supply faster, more milk, less engorgement 3) anything other than
mother's milk in a baby's gut doesn't support gut integrity and can set baby
up for allergies and/or illness.

Warmly,
Pat Lindsey, IBCLC
Pediatrics Plus Staff LC  www.pedsplus.com