Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 22:24:37 EST
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Dear Fellow Lactnetters, I need some advice. This is a really positive situation, which I came into completely unexpectedly. About a year ago I quit my hospital based LC job because the hours and politics were making me physically sick. I vowed to stay out of medicine forever and went down the teaching yoga and holistic health practitioner school/route. Well, now in order to partially supplement my income and move to Hawaii from San Diego, which has always been my dream, I am going into High Risk Antenatal Nursing again to pay off some bills and save some money. Well,about a month ago I applied for a job as a Lacatation Consultant at a Teritiary Women's and Children's Hospital in Oahu. They called to talk to me and basically what they are desiring is to become baby friendly, but the Nurse Manager admitted they have a long way to go and limited funding. I told her that I did have some experience with creating Hospital Based LC programs, at Camp Pendleton Naval Hospital, but that I quit that job after developi

ng a program and writing all the policies, etc because they refused to give me the right number of staff required to do the job, urghhh...

Well, at my cousins wedding I met this really nice couple who have been friends with my aunt and uncle for years. They are part of the Cook and Dole family enterprize, worth lots of money, who own a lot of property on Hawaii and donate money to different programs through a foundation. My aunt spoke with the Matriarch of the family at Thanksgiving, with the intent on finding me temporary lodging and maybe work in Hawaii and my aunt related the story about the Lactation situation at the Hawaii hospital, as my aunt is the director for Head Start in New England, so she is well aware of the issues and suports Lactation fully.

To make this long story short, the Matriarch thinks it would be a good idea for me to write a proposal of some sort to her daughter in law who heads the foundation that donates money , so that she can look into it and possibly donate some money.

My question is, Should I just forward the phone number of the Nurse Manager to my aunt to forward and then the daughter in law can do the research on what is needed or should I try to get in touch with the nurse manager and explain to her the situation and forward the research/info along with the nurse managers phone number?

This is really quite exciting for me as I feel everything happens for a reason, I was sad when they decided to hire 3 people instead of one for one full time equivalent position, because that took me out of the running because I can't afford to live on Hawaii on anything less than full time work. But I believe that maybe the only reason for me even seeing the job advertisement and responding was to have this happen, so maybe they will receive some extra funding.....

The second question I have is in your experiences , when you have a large tertiary facility like this, 500 deliveries a month and a 50 bed NICU, and limited funding, what and where is the best way to utilize the funding???? Thanks in Advance for you advice and wise words, Lisa Mooney RN BSN IBCLC MT

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2