From:
Linda Anderegg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 May 2005 01:24:34 -0500
I have seen a few babies with mastitis, usually neonates, and one or two
with an abscess.  I myself had a breast abscess when I was less than 2 weeks
old.  I vividly remember my mother telling me the story of how they had to
open and drain it and that she could see down to my ribs through the hole.
The doctor of course told her to immediately wean me, which she did.  At
least I got those first 10 days!  There is still a faint scar.  There was
always a large area of thickening in that area that I later had removed
through open biopsy and was read as a "complex mass".  Interestingly, I
produced lots of milk in that breast and very little in the opposite breast.
I suppose it makes a difference where the abscess is located if it will
cause enough scarring to impact later breast development and milk
production.

Linda Anderegg, RNC, IBCLC, RLC in Chicago