Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 12:41:17 +0000
There really isn't much information that will tell us one way or
another about the amount of pemoline which will appear in the milk.
Dr. Hale's handbook allows us to assume the baby will get some through
the milk and that with a relatively long half life, there could be
some pharmacologic effect on the child.

However, we should return to asking ourselves that since:

1. We have no evidence that this is harmful to infants especially in
the sorts of doses the child will get through the milk.

2. This drug is being used for thousands if not hundreds of thousands
of children not much older than this baby, in doses which are
significantly higher than what this baby will get.

3. There are risks associated with not breastfeeding, even at this
age.

is breastfeeding with a little pemoline now more dangerous than
switching to artificial milk?

I think the answer is no.  But there are no guarantees.  The mother
should make up her own mind.  I should point out that if this drug is
dangerous, then the mother should also ask herself if she should take
it based on her health.  If not, then there probably is no worry for
the baby either.

This is how I usually answer when the information is so scanty.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC