Date:
Fri, 17 May 2013 09:21:09 +0100
>Can't believe I am asking this question... my co-worker and I have
>been challenged by a physician to provide research that skin to skin
>contact... yes, that's right... is indeed safe for "sleeping"
>babies. She is asking for specific info that relates to SIDS,
>sleeping prone, and self-regulation. She is worried that we are
>suggesting skin to skin so frequently that we might be increasing
>our risk of SIDS during the "critical first week" because all the
>babies want to do is sleep on their mom's chest. Well, of course
>they do. We all know Nils Bergman's and Suzanne Colson's info on
>"prone-incline", external gestation, and kangaroo mother care. I am
>so baffled by the mere suggestion. I am getting all the info I can,
>but I am sure some of you might give me something even better. I am
>willing myself to believe that it is a good thing that she is asking
>these questions, but the worried side of me is saying that we are
>moving backwards. And... go.
>
>Trish Wierenga, BSN, RN, IBCLC

We have had a discussion on my own UK list for NCT breastfeeding
counsellors where one of my colleagues was involved in a related
question. A baby died at 4 days old from 'sudden unexpected postnatal
collapse' when lying skin to skin on mother's chest.

The paper that came up in our discusson was this one:

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12975-013-0255-4/fulltext.html

The paper identified risk factors of   SUPC which include the infant
becoming too warm , prone position,  and in the three deaths explored
in detail, death occured  during skin to skin.

The authors say "Healthy newborns, especially during skin-to-skin
contact in prone position, should be supervised during the first
hours of postnatal life without interfering with the mother-child
bonding to prevent SUPC."

Seems like your physician colleague may have read this recent paper?

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK