From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 07:30:19 -0600
>My husbands allergy is not life-threatening...he becomes sick to his
>stomach and definitely has distressed breathing as well as hives.

These symptoms are just one small step away from anaphylactic shock, which
can most certainly be life-threatening, especially in a small child.  If the
husband is having distressed breathing and hives in response to various
types of nuts in foods, he should be carrying an Epi-Pen at all times, and
the mom should do everything she can to keep her child away from nuts until
he is several years old.

My son Peter is highly allergic to fire ants, and anyone with a bad allergic
reaction to anything knows that hives and distressed breathing are serious.

Kathy Dettwyler