From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 06:06:42 -0500
Being in my feisty mode again, I would like to respectfully suggest to the
mother who is returning to work and wants her insurance to pay for a pump --
that this is not a legitimate request.  Hand expression is easily learned
and works for the vast majority of women.  You do not *need* a pump to
breastfeed except in unusual circumstances, such as bringing in a milk
supply for a newborn who cannot breastfeed yet, or cannot breastfeeding
effectively yet, whether due to prematurity or other problems such as
hypotonia or cleft lip and palate.  A mom with a full-time job where she
can't get sufficient time to hand express for a very young infant would also
be another good situation where a pump might make the difference.
Otherwise, hand expressing between feedings, especially at night, is usually
enough.

You might also try the Isis hand pump by Avent, which is relatively cheap
and reportedly works as well as some of the fancy electric pumps.

Kathy Dettwyler