Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2008 04:42:40 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
when i give breastfeeding mothers information i always come from an AP approach ... i present it from an anthropological perspective and i give them the whole picture as to why co-sleeping, constant contact, cue feeding helps the breastfed baby thrive... for many mothers knowing the whole story instead of the victoriana view of mothering that they get for free at busstops, health clinics, etc is very liberating, enlightening.. i encourage them to pick and choose as they please what fits their family but making decisions understanding human infant behavior.. rather than just our cultural biases of what babies should or should not do... the absolute reality of breastfeeding is that many of the emotional as well as physiological benefits of breastfeeding are the inherent AP qualities of breastfeeding and mothers have a right to know this... for e.g. both studies in obesity and mental health suggest that it is not just the breastmilk that makes children
 less prone to these very western ailments.. but perhaps the snuggling, partnership, skin contact, touching improved mother responsiveness are all contributors to their well-being...  what mother does with this information is her business but she has the right to know that their is enough evidence to suggest that an AP approach to breastfeeding is optimal for baby and mother...

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2