Date:
Sat, 15 May 1999 13:16:10 EDT
Esther,

<< Questions like " If breastfeeding is such a natural thing, why do we
 have to sit here and learn it? >>

I teach the prenatal b/f classes at my hospital and I address this.  I start
by explaining that b/f is a normal body function, like coughing, sighing,
drinking, urinating, sneezing and hiccuping.  I then tell them that b/f is a
normal human behavior, like eating, drinking, kissing, smoking, making love
and dancing.

Then the question:  If b/f is a normal body function, and a normal human
behavior, then why do we have to take a class for this?  Because humans LEARN
everything!

I then hold up different foods, some familiar, some not and ask "is this
food?"  They say yes to the familiar ones, I tell them the names of the
unfamiliar ones.  I usually have either a banana or ear of corn (in the husk)
as the final food.  I ask how do we eat this?  I hold the object up
horizontally and act like I'm going to take a bite.  The class will call out
NO, you have to peel it (cook it) first!  I ask "how do you know that?"

It usually only takes a minute before they make the connection:  "someone
taught me".  I point out that they wouldn't even know what things are food
unless someone taught them, then reinforce that humans have to LEARN
everything, we do nothing by instinct.

You may use this as you see fit.  I think I stole the idea from someone else.

Margie Forrest, RN, BSN, IBCLC in WPB, FL