From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2007 22:11:22 -0500
Tongue thrusting on bottle, breast, and pacifier is a way to get pedi to
"allow" consultation with an SLP. Tongue thrusting is the reason this
baby is not latching. Or so it seems to me. I keep the baby at the
nipple with the nipple in the mouth or on top lip over and over until
the baby stops tongue thrusting. I have had some success using the
nipple sandwich technique and holding the breast tissue with my fingers
until the baby starts to suck right and get going. If you let go too
fast, baby seems to pop back off. (This is a time when I am hands on as
I need to do this first to see if it is going to work.) Or I might give
a little bit by bottle and try to get the tongue thrusting stopped. I
sometimes use a periodontal syringe at the breast to hopefully stop the
tongue thrusting. (Another time when I am hands on as I want to be the
one doing the supplementing first to see is this technique is going to
work and how much flow is needed.) I have tried having baby suck on my
finger first. Sometimes what works is the milk or supplement flow stops
the tongue thrusting. Some babies never stop tongue thrusting. Mom keeps
sore nipples if baby will latch and remove milk. Tongue thrusting is
totally backwards for removing milk at the breast which is why this baby
had so much weight loss or poor gain. I would mention that to the pedi
in your HCP report. Or say you suspect this. I never come out and say
this is exactly why as I am not an SLP. Nipple shields do not work with
tongue thrusting because baby "bobs" back and forth on it and this is
very ineffective. Test weights usually show less intake with tongue
thrusters on a nipple shield but sometimes it works. When I try the
nipple shield and I see baby go back and forth on it (sliding out and
sliding back in), I suspect tongue thrusting. I do not use the nipple
shield if the baby is bobbing back and forth on it. I do not really
have a solution to this, but it is an oral motor issue.

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC

PS: I only work with really bad babies so I am more hands on at first. I
put my hands on moms hands and guide her to where to hold baby and how
to latch properly. But she is doing it. I am not holding the baby. She
is. Then the next latch on, mom tries to do it herself. And I give
verbal instructions. With good babies, I explain or show correct
technique and have her do it.

My opinion is that if your technique really frustrates the mother, then
try something else. If your technique empowers the mother and makes her
feel good, that is the right approach. I think about some of the tongue
thruster babies and the oral motor problem babies and mom knows how to
latch on but it either isn't work or isn't quite good enough. I have to
get in there and try different things but the goal is to have mom try
herself several times to be able to do it next time. I do talk about
what I am doing and explain everything I am doing while I do it or
before. And ask permission to touch mom and baby first.