From:
Teresa Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2008 12:44:17 -0500
Did these mothers have epidurals during labour? I've seen similar behaviours
at times with babies whose mothers have had epidurals, especially when it
was administered for many hours. The baby will latch on nicely but then
doesn't seem to know what to do. Just sits there with the nipple in his
mouth.

Obviously this doesn't happen with all post-epidural babies and I think your
comment on the anatomy is interesting. I wonder if it's the combination -
the epidural somehow reduces the sucking reflex in general, but then the
anatomy you describe means the baby isn't gettting the breast/palate contact
he needs to signal "suck now, get milk!"

Sometimes I've found using a nipple shield helps these mothers, I'm assuming
because it gives the baby more pressure inside his mouth to stimulate
sucking.

Teresa