From:
Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 1995 20:41:03 EST
        I am now totally confused! After reading that diflucan was recommended for ductal yeast infections, I
looked it up but was not able to find a reference in any of my books. (I wish that I had Dr. Hale's book -
maybe I'll buy it for myself for Chanukah!) I then called a local pharmacist who said that according to the
PDR it was not approved for lactating women or children. He read me the relevant passages over the phone. In
today's Lactnet I read Anne Eglash's recommendations for diflucan dosage. Can I assume that diflucan has been
re-evaluated since the 1995 PDR was published? Or could the pharmacist be using an out of date edition? Help!

        Later that day, by coincidence, I saw a mother who exhibited all the symptoms of a ductal infection
and I suggested that she saw her doctor for a diagnoses and a prescription. I emphasised the importance of
treating the baby at the same time. The mother chose to call her midwife, instead, since she knew her to be
supportive of breastfeeding. The midwife prescribed oral nystatin for the mother, who then asked about
treating the baby. Under pressure, the midwife prescribed a nystatin cream to be placed on the mother's
nipple, which, she insisted, was the best way of getting into the baby. Has anyone had any experience of this
method?

Norma Ritter, IBCLC, LLLL                     "If not now, when? If not us, who?"
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Date: 12/16/95
Time: 20:41:03