From:
Laura Vinogradov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 11:05:06 -0500
A neighbor/friend (not a client) hs a problem that I hope one of you can help
her on. She is BFing a 14 mo with no serious problems except recurring
thrush. Last time around baby was treated with gentian violet (not via the
MD) and the issue seemed resolved. A few days ago, mom started to feel the
onset of very familiar pains and now has all the classic signs of thrush (yet
again, babe's mouth seems clear, but she's not willing to let us poke about
too much!). Unfortunately, the baby is on antibiotics since yesterday for an
ear infection. The question is: is it worth treating with the gentian violet
now, or wait til the end of the antibiotic course (10 days total). Mom has
gone back to "painting" herself with nystatin in the meanwhile. She says the
pain is very intense and her child nurses on average 5 or 6 times a day. The
MDs in our area are not particularly supportive of gentian violet and so she
turned to me. And I'm deferring to you all!

Thanks for all your help and information (now, in the past and I'm sure in
the future).

in the doula spirit,

Laura Vinogradov
"Nurturing Mother" - Postpartum Doula Services
(also, Birth Doula-in-training)