Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2006 08:36:21 EST

Kathy says:

<<Also, some of you have  talked about a previous "Scope of Practice" but I
am not familiar with this.  All I know about is the ILCA Standard of
Practice and IBLCEs Code of  Ethics.>>

I do not believe there ever was  a Scope of Practice from IBLCE.  Only these
two documents.  If there  was a previous SoP, I would like to see it too.  In
a nutshell, the  Standard of Practice incorporates the expectations of what we
should be doing as  practitioners.  The Code of Ethics tells us how we should
behave (and I  must say, it is a bit wishy-washy on the idea of an IBCLC
taking money from the  formula companies.  The Code used to be much more
definitive about that,  but it has been changed).  The Scope of Practice essentially
tells us what  we can and cannot do.  And as I said, I don't believe IBLCE has
ever issued  one before.

Jan Barger
Wheaton IL

_Lactation Education  Consultants_