From:
Glenn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 1997 10:47:27 -0800

If you were to call anyone for information about one of the patients in our hospital, at least a mom or a baby, you would be told that we are not allowed to give information to ANYONE over the phone, and you must ask a family member what you want to know.  Or leave your name and number that the patient (or representative) might call you back.  The most we are legally allowed to admit on the phone is that we do indeed have such a patient.

Imagine the screaming when an about-to-be -grandmother calls our desk in L&D, because the phone in her daughter's room is busy, or turned off, and we tell her this.

The way around this is for the patient (or in the case of a NICU baby,
patient's mom), to have a written release on the chart that information
might be given over the phone to 1) a particular named person or
persons, or 2) anyone who calls.  The nurses and clerks cannot be
responsible to decide who, in the parents' minds, has a right to know.

Sincerely,  Chanita