From:
Pam Easterday <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 21:25:12 GMT
In the nipple-shield discussion we need to remember that if
a mother must reach out to reach your help, you have a more
dedicated population than a helper assigned to all new
mothers.  If mother must travel, fight her insurance
company, or pay her own cash, you have the cream of the
client crop.  If she comes back for follow-ups, you are
staring at a future Leader or lactation consultant.
A determined mother is likely to make breastfeeding work no
matter what stands in her way.
As a Leader, I have been pushed to handle complex
situations because mothers here rarely feel able to travel
an hour and pay for expertise.
Most of us have experienced mothers making a quick call to
find out if you have any easy answers before they tuck away
their breasts forever.  They aren't interested in
gymnastics.  Very different populations.
Pam Easterday  LLLL (Their "free phone call")