Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 20:12:11 EDT
Hi, I am a NBICU Nurse-coordinator and Lactation consultant from CT.  I was
contacted by our local TV station today because they want to interview me
tomorrow about a study done at Indiana University in Bloomington that found a
temporary drop in IgA levels in the breast milk of Moms who had just
exercised.  I requested a copy of the article in question.  The journalist who
wrote the article that was seen by the TV person, summarized that "If you are
nursing, it may be healthier not to breast feed your baby for at least 30
minutes after a workout"  I plan to explain the protection that IgA offers the
nursing baby and to conclude that  waiting or not waiting is not significant
to the infant; that the infant receives IgA throughout the day and night
feedings, probably at different levels anyway.    Does anyone have any
information about this research?  Dr. Newman, would love to hear from you.
Please, though.  I need to know by 9am tomorrow morning.  I believe that this
is just another example of incompetent journalism to make a headline.  What a
job!!!!!  Thanks.
Christy Ann Flynn, RNC