From:
Carla D'Anna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 03:42:32 -0500
Hmmm, would foremilk cause residuals in a premature???  I'd think not, fat
slows down gut motility and causes food to be retained in the stomach
longer.   I'd think foremilk being the dominant milk in a premature's feed
could be problematic for other reasons though... low calorie = low energy
and may = low glucose levels after even one feed and/or low weight gain if
done repeatedly all of which may be hard for a preemie with little fat
reserves to tolerate.  I do think you are onto something with the diarrhea
though, maybe if feeding volumes are up to "full feeds" diarrhea might
result... loose, green, frothy stools are classic for babies getting too
much foremilk.

Carla