From:
Carole Jernigan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 06:26:26 -0700
About a year ago, we had presentations at Lactation
staff meetings from both Soothies and Materni-mates
(Kendall) reps.  From the dark, dank recesses of my
brain...

Soothies are over 90% food-grade glycerin, contained
in a gel matrix.  Glycerin is a natural substance and
is a humectant, meaning it attracts and holds
moisture.  This follows the principle of wet wound
healing that is so useful for traumatized nipples.
Having seen the presentation and read the literature I
was impressed with the research done, as well as the
safety of the product.  Not an easy feat, as I am not
a big fan of breastfeeding paraphernalia...often
over-used and aggressively marketed for the sake of
making more $$.

Materni-mates, originally by Kendall, and now, I
believe sold under a different name, are a hydrogel
pad, a water-based formulation in a poly-something gel
matrix.  No glycerin in the formulation.  A long list
of hard to pronounce ingredients.  Either the rep was
not prepared for such a tough crowd (we can be a scary
bunch!!), or she did not know the answers to our
questions.  Our main concern was residue left on the
nipple and its safety for the bfding infant.  We were
told that the manufacturer "recommends" rinsing or
wiping the nipples with water prior to feeding, but
that the ingredients in the pads were "safe" for
ingestion....then why the rinsing?!  One got the
impression that the manufacturers were just taking a
"CYA" approach because *even they are not sure* IF
there is residue, or IF it is safe for infants to
ingest.  The questions were not answered to my
satisfaction, nor were several of my colleagues
pleased with the lack of information.

After a vote, we chose to go with Soothies.  I was
pleased.  At another staff meeting this May, I was
told we have gone back to the hydrogel pads (for our
hospital stock) because the cost of the Soothies
proved prohibitive.  Soothies are available in our
boutique for mothers to purchase.  I am not
comfortable with the information I have thus far on
hydrogels.  Yes, they work, but I am concerned about
the residue and the seeming lack of information and
research from the manufacturer.  I will hesitate to
recommend them to the mothers I see until my concerns
are adequately addressed.

Digging in my heels...
Carole Jernigan, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Mary Birch Hospital for Women