From:
Bruce Henry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 12:50:36 EDT
Just a comment on the thread of mom's running out of milk as the number of
children increases.  I too don't think this is normal (mom wearing out) my
grandmother nursed all 11 of her children and even crossed nursed with her
daughters (they would babysit for each other and nurse each other's babies, all
of my aunts and uncles are about 1-3 - mostly 3 - years apart in age) so it more
than age and number of children.  One of our local leaders did a home visit for
a mom who was complaining of sore nipples and was convinced it wasn't a
positioning problem, she had nursed her 4 other children no problem.  When the
leader got there the baby was lying in the mom's lap on her back with her head
turned toward the breast.  This position may have worked with the others, but
this baby needed proper positioning to nurse without damaging the nipples.
Everything else needs to be checked to find the cause of lactation failure.

Felicia Henry
Bradley Instructor
La Leche League Leader
Oxnard, CA