Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 19:13:08 +0200
Hi all,
I am lost (won't be the first time!). Mom is also. Got to me after c/s and dx in hospital of insufficient milk supply.

Hx of hyperprolactinemia and had been taking  Dopergin for the 5 years preceding pregnancy.
Had 2 spontaneous miscarriages before carrying to term.  Slight changes in breasts during preg.

First day baby did not nurse and was suspect dehydrated - no wet nappies and formula introduced.
Second day mom nursed all day long but did not see signs of secretion. They encouraged her to keep bf while baby received S_____c. She pumped with no visible results. Was informed that she might have problems due to high prolactin levels.

Came to me on day 4 with baby very willing to nurse. We could hear swallowing and he was calm and content. Even when baby taken off the breast, no visible signs. We pumped. Results were first visual signs - golden drops of colostrom - both of us next to tears - and the mom over the moon.  We hooked her up to the SNS and she was thrilled. I suggested she stay with the s- - - - - c, with SNS and see how things progress.
Ultimate plan hopefully increasing Moms supply, and reducing formula.
I called the next day, she was happy because she already saw transitional milk.

AFter two days, the baby clinic nurses told her - "No, if you want to bf then stop all formula and just nurse, your supply will increase." She called me after one day of no formula very distraught. The baby was hungry and did not have urine output.. I suggested she get back onto our plan if that suited her and see if things don't get better. She did, but after four days the baby did not gain any weight. Two days later the baby lost 130 grams.

She is pumping every 2-3 hours. No great shakes. (pardon the pun). She is giving him 60-80 gms. formula every 2-3 hours. She has gone back onto bottle so he has gone off the SNS. I suggested she try to get him back on if she wants to supply his needs via breast, whether all bm or partial. She is very keen on keeping him at the breast so my suggestions just reflected her wanting to keep trying.

The question is: Why doesn't she have milk? Can there be retained placenta after a C/S?

Please reply ASAP. I am leaving for the USA on Saturday night. Post me privately as well. I appreciate it. I would love to enlighten her before I leave.

Ellen Shein, Tel Aviv