From:
Becky Krumwiede <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 1995 22:56:14 EDT
On 7/30 Linda Pohl mentioned a study by "Fomon, et al
indicating less than 0.1% of the iron in the iron fortified cereals was
bioavailable and they were inadequate for use as an iron supplement."  I, too,
have wondered why the general feeling exists that iron-fortified cereal is such
a wonderful food for babies.  I haven't read that particular study, but was
under the impression that iron was much better absorbed (is that the word?) from
food in which it occurs naturally than from food that has been artificially
fortified.  Could one of our dieticians clarify?

Thanks.

Becky Krumwiede, RN, IBCLC