From:
"D. McCallister" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 11:00:19 -0500
Notes from a satisfied pacifier user:

I used a pacifier with both of my (breastfed) babies.  I never perceived anything negative
about using one.

My first born was a *very* high-needs baby.  At times, I found myself alternating between
marathon nursing sessions (lasting as long as 2-3 hours, unlatching only to switch breasts) and
then frequent "power" nursings (less than 45 minutes from latch to latch).  At some point in
the 24-hour period of constantly meeting my son's needs, *I* needed to cook and eat, take a
shower, use the toilet, et cetera.  During those times, if my baby was awake, he would happily
suck on the pacifier.  I sincerely do not believe that denying him this activity, thus having
him scream the entire time I was bathing, would accomplish anything positive.  What part of
that scenario would be good for him?

I returned to work when he was 5 1/2 months old, and considerably calmer than in his early
months.  At that point, the caregiver was feeding him bottles of expressed milk, and also using
a pacifier.  I wasn't there to nurse him but his sucking needs didn't go away just because he
was at daycare.  Perhaps they even increased.

My second child was born independent and remains so, now age 3 1/2.  He rarely used a
pacifier.  In fact, he didn't really "discover" it until he started going to daycare at age 3
months.  Again, I wasn't there to nurse, so less time at the breast meant more time with the
pacifier.

We never had problems with sore nipples, nipple confusion, ear infections, or any other
problem.  Like many things in parenting, it's not the "thing," but how you use it.  One can use
a pacifier to plug a child's mouth and ignore his needs.  Or one can judge whether it's
appropriate, given the circumstances.  Always/never mindsets don't serve any useful purposes...

Debbie McCallister
Louisville, Kentucky