From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Dec 1997 08:18:11 -0500
Good morning.... in this holiday time, a few thoughts....

I just wanted to add one more thing about posts being reprinted from Lactnet
to other places ( ie copied off, to be distributed, hung on walls, given to
your boss, handed around at staff meetings, or posted to other lists...)...

This type of copying of Lactnet posts  *requires* the permission of the
original poster ..ie their consent.  If it comes to our attention that
copying and reprinting and reposting is done without the original poster's
permission, this will generate an official warning from the list
administrators.  Second time offenders will be unsubscribed.  This can be
serious, folks.

Most of the time, the only consequences are  that a person's words are taken
without their permission, a rule of a list is broken, and it just isn't
nice. Words can be taken out of context, though, or can embarass the poster
in certain venues.

 I know of one case where a poster's thoughts were included in a letter to a
MAJOR MAGAZINE, including the person's e-mail address, and their city, and
the fact that they were a *LLLEADER* which she certainly would not have had
on their if she had known her words were going to be lifted from Lactnet and
printed in a MAGAZINE. There have been other incidences as well, but this is
a good time to remind you all to be respectful of each other's words. *ask*
before you lift. Most of the time, the author will probably grant you
permission.

Many thanks...and here's wishing everyone a happy and joyous holiday season.

Warmly, Kathleen
Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet,TLC, Indep. Consultant
http://together.net/~kbruce/kbbhome.html
LACTNET Archives http://library.ummed.edu/lsv/archives/lactnet.html
LACTNET WWW http://www.telcomplus.net/~kga/lactation.html