From:
Virginia G Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 14:55:06 +1000
I am quietly boiling, because of news reports these last two days, about the expatriots being evacuated from the strife-torn Solomon Islands.  When they were put on the Australian navy vessel, news reports said, "a cheer went up" when the baby formula arrived. (Grrr!!!)  A later report stated that the navy sailors learnt new skills "beyond the call of duty", such as "mixing up baby formula".  Grrr!   Two things strike me here:  1) these sailors are having a (negative) lesson on how to feed babies, to bring to their own parenting, and 2) of course it is *easy*, very easy, feeding a baby artificially - if the ABM is supplied (not sure of source) *and* the mothers can leave the work of sterilising bottles, boiling water, mixing the milk powder, to a bunch of sailors!  They seem to have handed over the child care, though admittedly some of the Mums were seasick.
    I'm not as rational as usual while sharing this - sorry.
           Virginia